There's a lot to think about before you ask for her hand in marriage. Underwood's is here to help you pick the perfect ring and give you advice on how to pop the question.
For the Guys
THE 4 C'S
The true beauty of a diamond can never be seen until it is properly cut. The angle between any two facets must be accurate to bring out the full fire and brilliance. Symmetry, polish, and where the weight of the diamond is placed, are also critical to the sparkle in a diamond. Potential Underwood’s diamonds must pass our rigid standards for cut before they are chosen to be in our store.
This refers to the warmth, or interior color, of the diamond. A diamond that falls within the range of colorless to near colorless is truly rare.
The diamond's internal characteristics are examined when grading for clarity. These "birthmarks" are often referred to as feathers, crystals, clouds, or spots. Our diamond experts will explain the differences, and why Underwood’s only chooses the top 5% of diamond quality available.
Each diamond is accurately measured by carat weight. One carat equals 100 points, therefore 50 points equal exactly one-half carat, or .50 carat. It is important to note that due to the rarity of larger diamonds, as the diamond size gets larger, the price per carat increases at a much greater rate. For example, a one-carat diamond of equal quality to a one-half carat diamond will cost three or four times as much, rather than twice as much!
Okay, most guys don't realize this, but the diamond is actually just one part of the ring as a whole. That's right, not only do you choose the right diamond, you choose the right setting for the diamond, too.
Luckily we’ve demystified all clues you’re sweetie might be giving you. Is she dropping words like "halo", "engraved", "solitaire", "platinum"? If so, make a mental note and head straight to Underwood’s . Tell us what you have heard her say, the more specific the better. You might even get lucky and come across a wishlist she created with us detailing her dream ring!
Even if she has chosen the exact setting she likes, you’ll still have the honor of choosing the diamond that goes in the ring. It will be your own loving, personal touch.
We want to hear about your beautiful proposal stories! Send us a testimonial and we’ll share it on the site. Here are some tips to make sure that proposal goes perfectly:
Top 5 Proposal Don'ts
- Don't hide the ring in her food. Or at the bottom of a wine glass. No one really wants to fish a diamond ring out of food.
- Don't ask via JumboTron at Razorback Football Game. Most women would prefer a little more intimacy.
- Don't ask in front of family. Do you really want the pressure from that audience? Celebrate with the family after.
- And finally, DO NOT ask at someone else’s wedding. You might have seen this in a movie, but in reality you don’t want to upstage the happy couple's big day.
Top 5 Proposal Do's
- Do ask her parents for their permission or blessing. It's tradition and they will say yes.
- Do have a diamond ring. Diamonds possess the power to persuade.
- Do make it a surprise. Even though you have discussed getting married, the marriage proposal itself should still be a surprise. Find a moment and a way that she won't be suspecting.
- Do drop to one knee. Yes, you will feel vulnerable and off-balance, but you'll get used to that.
- Do say, "Will you marry me?" This is how it's been done since the beginning of time, and who are you to rewrite history?
For the Girls
If you’re afraid his choice in engagement rings might not resemble the elegant symbol of love you’ve been dreaming about, you should definitely start dropping him some not-so-subtle hints.
To do that, just stop by the store and make an Underwood’s wish list complete with your ring size. Then drop more hints to make sure he comes to see us so we can help him out.
If subtlety is more your game make sure you cover all your bases and let your bff/sister/mother know your preferences in diamond bling.
MARK YOUR TERRITORY
Sure, his wedding band is a symbol of the bond of marriage and a representation of your love; but more than that, his ring is how you tell the world, "Back off! He's taken."
From simple to ornate, gold or platinum, nothing lets the world know he's off the market like a wedding band from Underwood’s.
Stop by to see the many different ways to signify your never-ending devotion.